Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These quesadillas get their luscious flavor from caramelized garlic, while toasted pumpkin seeds, or pepitas, add smokiness and crunch. Quesillo is a soft, mild cheese that melts easily, making it Mexico’s most popular quesadilla cheese.
1. Warm nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Toast pumpkin seeds 3 minutes, or until they pop, puff and turn brown. Transfer seeds to bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in same skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic, and cook 8 minutes, or until pale gold. Add to seeds.
3. Wipe out skillet, then heat remaining 2 Tbs. oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 5 minutes, or until brown. Remove from heat, and stir in pumpkin seeds, garlic and cilantro.
4. Place 1 tortilla in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese and 1/4 of mushroom mixture. Cover with second tortilla. Cook 2 minutes, or until cheese begins to melt, pressing down with spatula. Flip, and cook 2 minutes more, or until browned. Repeat. Serve hot.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 426
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 28 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 260 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g