Recipe by Natural Gourmet Institute
- 6 servingsServings
- 1 1/2 pounds crimini mushrooms, cleaned, and stems removed
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
- 1 portobello mushroom, cleaned and stem removed
- 4 tablespoons porcini oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1 tablespoon unbleached white all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme OR 1 tablespoon of dried thyme*
1. Cut mushrooms into quarters.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
3. When pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Sear mushrooms in one layer in the skillet. Set seared mushrooms aside.
4. Repeat process until all the mushrooms are browned, adding oil as needed. Remove to bowl.
5. Add a little more oil to the skillet and sweat onion until soft. Add flour and cook a few minutes.
6. Add sherry and reduce by half. Add stock, mushrooms, salt and garlic.
7. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes uncovered, until liquid is reduced to a sauce consistency.
8. Add pepper fresh herbs, and adjust seasonings.
*If using dried herbs add at the end of step 6