Serve this dish over coarsely mashed potatoes for a satisfying entrée with a variety of flavors and textures.
- Makes 2 servings.Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 portobello mushroom caps (3 1/2 to 4 inches across)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 10 ounces fresh, washed spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Mix 1 tablespoon oil with the balsamic vinegar in a small bowl and brush both sides of the mushroom caps. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast until tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach and turn to coat. Cook, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted but still bright green, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and sprinkle lightly with salt.
3. Mound spinach on two plates. Slice each mushroom on the diagonal and place over spinach. Sprinkle with almonds and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Jean-Baptiste Belledent, head chef at Xinalani retreat in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.