Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These delicate cookies call for roasted chickpea flour, sold in Persian markets. Buy the type labeled fine. Use rose water for cooking, sold at Middle Eastern markets and specialty food stores. Chilling the dough helps when cutting out the cookies.
- Combine oil, sugar, cardamom and rose water in bowl, and mix for 2 minutes until white and creamy. Add chickpea flour all at once, and mix for 1 minute until dough is no longer sticky. Dust work surface with chickpea flour, knead dough 2 minutes by hand and flatten dough on surface until 6 inches square and 3/4-inch thick. Wrap in plastic wrap, place on plate and let rest for 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Unwrap dough. Use cloverleaf cookie cutter, and cut out dough. Place cookies on nonstick cookie sheet, leaving 1 inch between pieces to allow for spreading. Decorate each with slivered pistachios. Place sheet on rack in center of oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cookie bottoms are light golden. Remove cookies from oven, and allow to cool.
- Serving Size MAKES ABOUT 40 COOKIES
- Calories 110
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 5 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g