Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
A hearty family dish, these East-Meets-West cabbage rolls come together very quickly and are ideal for cool-weather meals. Offer a piping hot soup to start, and conclude with fresh fruit and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray 9×12-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- To prepare cabbage leaves, cut out and discard triangular wedge at tough stem end of each leaf, and set aside. Heat large saucepan of water.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and sauté mushrooms, eggplant, soy “meat,” garlic, oregano, salt and pepper 7 to 10 minutes, or until mushrooms and eggplant are tender. Stir in 1 cup pasta sauce, and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Place cabbage leaves in boiling water 2 minutes, or until slightly softened. Using tongs, remove 1 leaf from water, and place outer side down in baking dish. Spoon about 1/3 cup “meat” mixture onto upper portion of leaf, and roll leaf tightly over filling. Place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat with remaining ingredients until all leaves are filled. Spoon remaining “meat” mixture and pasta sauce over leaves, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Remove from oven, and serve.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 350
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 1180 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g