Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This dish makes an elegant breakfast or brunch centerpiece. You can make this recipe vegan by using firm slices of baked tofu instead of eggs in the Napoleon filling and by substituting crumbled vegan cheese for the feta.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make the Napoleons: Open the puff pastry sheet out flat, and slice it in half across the 3 fold lines. Cut the halved sheet into 3 strips along the fold lines for a total of 6 pastry rectangles. Reserve 2 of the rectangles for another use. Place the remaining 4 pastry pieces on the baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to make the Red Pepper Sauce: Rinse the 2 roasted peppers, cut 4 strips to the size of the pastry pieces and set aside. Put the remaining red peppers into a blender or food processor with 1/2 cup milk or soymilk, and purée until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and stir in the flour until well blended. Add the remaining milk, and continue cooking until the mixture starts to boil. Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the puréed peppers, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until ready to serve.
- Steam the asparagus spears until tender, for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Spray a 10-inch skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Beat the eggs, stir into the skillet and cook until set, lifting the edges so any uncooked eggs run underneath. Turn the cooked eggs out onto a large plate, and slice the eggs into 4 uniform rectangles to layer on the pastry. Reserve any remaining cooked egg for another use.
- To assemble the Napoleons: Cut each piece of baked pastry in half lengthwise. Layer an egg rectangle, 1 tablespoon of cheese, 1 rectangle of roasted pepper and 4 asparagus spears onto one-half of the pastry, and top with the remaining piece of pastry. Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from the oven, and place on individual serving plates. Top with about 1?4 cup of the Red Pepper Sauce, and sprinkle each serving with equal amounts of remaining feta cheese. Serve hot.
Bed and Breakfast
392 Little Road
Friday Harbor, WA98250
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 660
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 360 mg
- Fat Content 43 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 14 g
- Sodium Content 940 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g