This rich, creamy soup is a protein powerhouse that tastes like an elegant appetizer. Try it with walnuts.
- 21/2 cups pecans
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup plain soymilk
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan Cheddar cheese, for garnish, if desired
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, for garnish, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread pecans on baking sheet and toast 7 to 10 minutes, or until browned and fragrant. Cool 10 minutes, then coarsely chop.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté
5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in 2 cups toasted pecans, agave nectar, chili powder, and garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Add broth, thyme, bay leaf, and 4 cups water, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 2 hours.
3. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf, and purée soup in batches in blender until smooth. Return to pot, and stir in soymilk. Reheat soup, if necessary, and serve garnished with remaining 1/2 cup chopped pecans, cheese, and green onions, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 10
- Calories: 268
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fat Content: 23 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 181 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g