In this recipe, a combination of soy, rice and potato starch flours are used in the crust; cornstarch replaces wheat flour as the thickener in the filling; and wheat-free tamari is used as a seasoning. If youre allergic to corn as well as wheat, use 1/4 cup mashed potatoes to replace the cornstarch mixture.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu, well-drained and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen and thawed green peas
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh parsley
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 Tbs. wheat-free tamari
- 4 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbs. water
- 1 cup soy flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350F. In small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. In 1 1/2 quart casserole, combine tofu, onion-carrot mixture, peas, walnuts and parsley.
- In medium saucepan, combine stock, tamari, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, whisk in cornstarch mixture and cook, whisking constantly until thickened, about 1 minute. Pour sauce over tofu and vegetables in casserole. Stir well to coat with sauce; set aside.
- To make Crust: In food processor, combine flours, baking powder, salt and oil and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With motor running, slowly add water through feed tube and process until dough forms a ball. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into shape of casserole dish. Carefully place crust over casserole, crimping edges.
- Bake until crust is lightly browned, about 45 minutes. Serves warm.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 178
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 344 mg