Bring New York into your kitchen with this classic New York-Style Pizza Dough and Sauce recipe.
1. In a small bowl, using a fork, stir the yeast into the lukewarm water. Set aside until the yeast dissolves, about 5 minutes.
2. In another small bowl, combine the cold water, sugar, salt, and olive oil. Stir to dissolve the sugar and salt.
3. Place 5 1/4 cups of the flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and stir in the yeast mixture along with the cold-water mixture. Using a wooden spoon, mix the dough, incorporating as much of the flour as possible. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured work surface and knead until soft and elastic, 10 to 12 minutes. It will still be a little sticky but shouldn’t stick to your hands. Add only a minimum amount of flour to the work surface to keep the dough from sticking.
4. Put the dough into 3 equal portions. With floured hands, pick up 1 portion of dough and pull the opposite edges together, wrapping them underneath toward the center to form a tight, smooth ball. Pinch to seal. Repeat with the other 2 portions. Place each portion in a 1-gallon lock-top plastic bag. Squeeze out all the air and seal the bag, allowing enough room for the dough to double in size.
5. Refrigerate for at least 10 hours or up to 2 days. Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before using to allow the dough to come to room temperature.
Tip: Keep your hands well dusted with flour while working with the pizza dough so that they won’t stick to the dough. If the dough springs back as you press and stretch it out, stop and let it rest for a few minutes before continuing.
1. In a medium bowl, combine the diced tomatoes (including the juice from the can), the tomato paste, olive oil, basil, oregano, sugar, garlic, and salt. Taste and add more salt, if desired. Use immediately, or store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Bring to room temperature before using.
Recipes printed with permission from Pizza by Diane Morgan and Tony Gemignani.
Extra: Try this gluten-free pizza dough recipe.
- Calories 0
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g