Nigiri sushi is shaped into ovals of rice with the “filling” on top. If you can’t find shiso leaves, substitute fresh basil.
- 3-PIECE SERVINGServings
- Sushi Rice
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain white rice
- 1 Tbs. sake
- 2 1/2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. prepared wasabi, or more as needed
- 24 thin avocado slices (3/4 of an avocado)
- 24 paper-thin English cucumber half-moon slices (1/4 cucumber)
- 12 shiso leaves, halved diagonally
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- To make Sushi Rice: Rinse rice under cold water until milky starch runs clear; drain. Place in saucepan with 12/3 cups cold water and sake. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and let rest, covered, 10 minutes more.
- Whisk together vinegar, sugar, and salt in bowl. Transfer rice to large bowl, and drizzle half of vinegar mixture over rice, while cutting through it with wooden spoon. Continue adding vinegar mixture and cutting through rice until all vinegar mixture is absorbed. Cover with damp cloth; cool.
- Dampen hands, and shape 2 Tbs. Sushi Rice into 1 two-bite-size oval. Smear dab of wasabi over rice, and top with 2 avocado slices and 2 cucumber slices. Place shiso leaf half over top of vegetables, with center seam lying horizontally. Repeat with remaining rice and topping ingredients. Serve with soy sauce.
- Serving Size: Makes 12 pieces
- Calories: 257
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 441 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g