Focaccia makes a great snack or party food. In this recipe, the olive topping is sandwiched between layers of dough so that just a few olives peek out on the surface. Semolina in the dough contributes to an appealing, crisp texture.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semolina, plus more for dusting
- 1 ( 1/4-oz.) pkg. quick-rising yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- In food processor fitted with metal blade, combine flour, semolina, yeast, salt and sugar; pulse on/off to mix. In measuring cup, combine 2/3 cup hot water (120F to 130F) and oil. With motor running, gradually pour hot liquid through food processor feed tube. Process until dough forms a ball, then process 1 minute to knead. The dough should be quite soft. If it seems dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water; if too sticky, add 1 to 2 tablespoons flour. Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Coat sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place, sprayed side down, over dough. Let dough rest 20 to 30 minutes.
- Place baking stone or inverted baking sheet on bottom rack of oven to heat. Preheat oven to 450F. (Heat baking stone 25 minutes before baking; heat baking sheet for 10 minutes. )
- Coat another baking sheet with cooking spray and dust with semolina. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 16 x 12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle olives and 2 teaspoons rosemary over half of rectangle. Fold dough in half to enclose olives and form a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Press edges together to seal. Roll dough into 15 x 11-inch rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and let rise 20 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon water. Brush oil mixture over top of focaccia. Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons rosemary. Dip your fingertips in any remaining oil mixture and press dough to form dimples in focaccia. Pinch and pleat rim to finish edges. Place baking sheet on heated baking stone and bake until bottom of crust is golden and crisp, 10 to 20 minutes. Transfer to cutting board and use pizza cutter to cut into 8 rectangles. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 8 Servings
- Calories: 154
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 365 mg