- Makes one 9-inch cake.Servings
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch springform pan.
2. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs until thick and pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Continuing to beat, slowly add the sugar in a thin, steady stream until fully combined. Then, add the oil in a thin, steady stream, beating constantly. Beat in the vanilla, the lemon juice, and zest.
4. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture in 3 batches. Do not overmix. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
5. Bake the cake until it is golden brown and springs back when pressed in the center, 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven, place the pan on a wire rack, and let cool for 10 minutes. Run a small knife around the inside edge of the pan to loosen the cake, then release and remove the sides of the pan. Transfer the cake to a serving plate. Dust with confectioner's sugar, if desired.
Extra: Read the full Yoga Journal article, All Dressed Up
Recipe adapted from Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Italian, by Michele Scicolone with permission of the publisher, Weldon Owen, Inc.