With this healthy recipe, you can have your cake and eat it, too.
- Makes 8 to 10 servings.Servings
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly oil a 10-inch loaf pan and set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs at high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and continue to beat until mixture is very foamy and pale in color. With the mixer running, slowly drizzle n the olive oil. Gently fold in the rosemary.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Pour the batter into the pan.
4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until the cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool briefly in the pan, and then tip the cake out onto a rack to continue cooling.
This recipe was reprinted with permission from The Babbo Cookbook, by Mario Batali (Clarkson Potter Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc., 2002).