Flatbread, called fougasse, is enjoyed throughout Provence. Long before there were ovens, these breads were baked on the floor of the hearth. This assertively flavored fougasse can be cut into small squares for an appetizer or larger squares to be served with a meal.
- 1/4-oz. pkg. or 1 Tbs. active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 7 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cups bread flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. coarse salt
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped kalamata olives
- 1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
- In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water and stir with fork to dissolve. Let stand 5 minutes. Whisk in 4 tablespoons olive oil.
- In separate bowl, mix bread flour, whole wheat flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Add flour, one cup at a time, to yeast mixture, stirring well after each addition. When dough begins to come away from sides of bowl, turn out onto lightly floured work surface. Knead in garlic, olives and 1/2 teaspoon rosemary. Continue kneading, adding more flour as necessary, until dough is shiny, elastic and no longer sticky, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat all sides with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside until dough triples in volume, about 2 hours.
- Punch down dough and place in a greased 13- by 9-inch baking sheet. Press and pat dough until it covers entire surface of pan. Cover with a towel and let rise until dough reaches top edge of sheet, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Just before baking, dimple dough with fingertips and drizzle surface with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Place on middle oven rack. Put an empty baking dish on lower rack. Quickly pour 1 cup boiling water into empty dish and close door. Bake until bread is well risen and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove bread from pan to wire rack. Brush surface with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Cut into squares and serve warm.
- Serving Size: 16 Servings
- Calories: 165
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 353 mg