This simple recipe makes a delicious accent to mealtime.
- 2 lbs. small to medium-sized yellow onions, peeled and halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- Place onions in feed tube of food processor and slice, using very light pressure on pusher.
- Combine all ingredients in skillet with tight-fitting lid and cook over medium heat. Using timer, stir onions every 10 minutes, or until deep golden brown and very soft, about 45 minutes. Cool and refrigerate.
- To serve, try topping 1 cup soft polenta with 1/2 cup confit and crumbled gorgonzola; topping 1/4 seasoned roasted eggplant with 2 ounces goat cheese and 1/2 cup confit; or filling 8-inch tart shell with 2 cups confit, 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese and tomato slices.
- Serving Size: SERVES 14
- Calories: 60
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 170 mg