It's no surprise that New Yorker Myra Kornfeld, author of The Healthy Hedonist Holidays: A Year of Multi-Cultural, Vegetarian-Friendly Holiday Feasts, came up with a dish that's easy to transport and reheat. She's had plenty of experience toting party food on the city's subway system and warming up dishes in tiny Manhattan apartment kitchens. Kornfeld says she's partial to Gruyère (a hard Swiss cheese) in these bites, but Cheddar and other Swiss cheese varieties will also work.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 2 Tbs. breadcrumbs
- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 small onion, finely diced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced (½ cup)
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyère cheese (4 oz.)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 16 2-inch thin crackers, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8-inch square glass baking dish on bottom and one-third up sides with oil. Pat breadcrumbs all over bottom; tilt to coat sides. Discard any loose breadcrumbs.
2. Place spinach in colander or strainer and drain out excess liquid, pressing down on spinach with hands to squeeze dry. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion is golden and bell pepper is soft. Stir in spinach, and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, and spread spinach mixture evenly in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
4. Whisk eggs, milk, and salt in small bowl, and season with ground black pepper. Pour evenly over spinach and cheese in baking dish, shaking pan gently to make sure egg mixture soaks into spinach. Bake 20 minutes, or until top is golden and eggs are set. Cool at least 30 minutes to firm. Slice into 16 squares. Reheat or serve at room temperature, on thin crackers, if desired.
- Serving Size: Makes 16 2-inch-square bites
- Calories: 61
- Carbohydrate Content: 3 g
- Cholesterol Content: 35 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 92 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g