This Spanish-style omelet (similar to a frittata) is cooked with the fillings mixed into the eggs instead of folded inside. Serve it in wedges with warmed premade salsa verde.
- 4 small new potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2/3 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium-size yellow bell pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 4 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Place potatoes and broth in small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and cook 8 minutes, stirring often, or until soft.
- Add potatoes and remaining oil to skillet, and reduce heat to medium.
- Whisk together eggs and egg whites in large bowl. Pour eggs into skillet. Cook 4 minutes, pushing egg edges toward center with rubber spatula to allow omelet to cook evenly. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 4 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over omelet, cover and cook 2 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and eggs are set. Gently loosen omelet from pan and slide onto cutting board. Cut into six wedges and serve on individual plates.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 175
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Cholesterol Content: 151 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 345 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g