Pan-fried flat breads are served at breakfast in India, but Gadia makes these crispy treats for other meals as well.
- flat breadServings
- 2 cups finely chopped red or white onion
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. finely chopped jalapeño chile
- 1/2 tsp. amchoor, or 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups atta (Indian whole-wheat flour), or white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbs. canola or vegetable oil, plus more for greasing griddle
1. To make Filling: Combine all ingredients in bowl.
2. To make Dough: Pulse flour and salt in food processor until combined. Add 11/4 cups water, and process 2 minutes, or until smooth. Cover, and let stand 10 minutes. Roll dough into 8 balls, then dust with flour. Roll out each ball into 3-inch circle. Place 2 Tbs. Filling in center of each circle. Join dough edges together, and crimp tightly. Dust with flour once more. Place crimped-side down, and roll to 6-inch circles.
3. Oil iron griddle or heavy skillet, and heat over medium heat. Cook 1 dough circle 1 to 2 minutes, or until bottom browns and is firm. Flip, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Lightly oil top of flat bread with 1/2 tsp. oil. Turn over, and oil second side, pressing on flat bread several times to brown evenly. Repeat with remaining dough balls and oil. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 192
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 148 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g