I came up with this recipe one evening when all that was in the house was some stale bread, a few eggs, an onion and some cheese. It is easy and surprisingly good. To make fresh whole grain breadcrumbs, tear up slices of stale bread, and grind them in a food processor or blender.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 cups fresh whole grain breadcrumbs
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat oil in large, ovenproof 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes, or until softened. Add breadcrumbs, mix well and spread mixture evenly over bottom of pan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes to heat through, pressing crumbs into bottom.
- Beat eggs, 1/2 cup water and salt to taste in mixing bowl. Stir in cheese. Pour mixture evenly over breadcrumbs in skillet, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until sides begin to set; do not stir.
- Broil omelet about 4 inches from heat source, just until top is firm and edges begin to brown, about 3 minutes.
- To serve, cut omelet into wedges, and invert onto serving plates.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 380
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Cholesterol Content: 455 mg
- Fat Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 680 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g