Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Hefty portobello mushrooms add both protein and flavor to any meal. Here, they serve as the sandwich base for a Greek-
inspired feta cheese filling. Fresh oranges, vanilla cookies and herbal tea make a fitting conclusion to this lunch or supper dish.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Wipe mushroom caps clean, snap off stem ends and carefully scrape out black gills. Brush each cap lightly with oil. Set mushrooms aside.
- Combine egg, feta cheese and ricotta cheese in a mixing bowl. Mix well, and stir in oregano, dillweed, salt and pepper. Divide cheese filling equally among portobello caps, and place on cookie sheet or baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until tops turn golden. Remove from oven, garnish with tomatoes and serve.
The combination of earthy Portobello mushrooms, creamy ricotta and tangy feta calls for a Pinot Noir. Try either the vivid, fruity Acacia Pinot Noir or a milder one such as Echelon.
- Serving Size SERVES 4
- Calories 320
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 120 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 11 g
- Sodium Content 720 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g