This is a perfect recipe to try with a mix of oranges—Valencias, Cara Cara navels, and blood oranges—to taste the subtle flavor differences.
- 3 wide strips orange zest, sliced into long, thin slivers
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbs. orange-flower water
- 8 oranges, peel and pith removed, sliced into rounds
- Fresh mint sprigs, optional
1. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in saucepan. Add orange zest, and simmer 4 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water.
2. Bring 2/3 cup water, sugar, cinnamon stick, and orange zest to a boil in same saucepan, swirling pan to help sugar dissolve. Boil 7 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half and mixture is thick and syrupy. Remove from heat, and stir in orange-flower water.
3. Arrange orange rounds in shallow dish. Pour orange syrup over fruit, and nestle cinnamon stick among slices. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours, or overnight. Serve garnished with mint sprigs, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 205
- Carbohydrate Content: 53 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 3 mg
- Sugar Content: 40 g