Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Be sure the poppy seeds are fresh because old ones can be bitter. The trick to making great muffins is not to overwork the batter, which results in a dense, heavy texture.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat twenty 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray. In coffee grinder or small food processor, grind flaxseeds. Transfer to blender along with 1/2 cup soy milk; let soak 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small skillet, preferably cast iron, toast poppy seeds over low heat until fragrant, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In large bowl, sift both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cardamom. Stir in poppy seeds.
- To mixture in blender, add maple syrup, oil, orange juice, vanilla extract and remaining 1/2 cup soy milk and blend thoroughly. Add orange peel and pulse to combine. Make well in center of dry ingredients and add maple syrup mixture, stirring with wooden spoon just until blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake until muffins a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes in pan. To remove, run knife around edge of cups and turn muffins out onto wire rack. Cool completely. Using pastry brush, spread Orange Glaze over muffins if desired.
- Serving Size Makes 20
- Calories 221
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 238 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g