Tired of the same ol’ spaghetti and sauce? Kick your pasta dinners up a notch by topping fun noodle shapes with this light, cheesy sauce and homemade vegetarian meatballs. If you’re really pressed for time, use one 12-oz. package of frozen prepared veg meatballs instead.
- 2 cups dried orecchiette pasta, or your favorite short pasta
- 2 cups soy crumbles (about 6 oz.)
- 6 Tbs. finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.), divided
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place soy crumbles in bowl and microwave 1 1/2 minutes on high. Add 2 Tbs. cheese, breadcrumbs, egg, 1 tsp. garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Mix together until fully combined.
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Roll 1 Tbs. soy crumble mixture into ball and place in pan. Repeat with remaining mixture. Cook meatballs 3 to 5 minutes, or until evenly browned. Add peas and broth, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 4 to 5 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Drain pasta and toss with lemon juice, chives, thyme and remaining 1 Tbs. oil in serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add meatballs and peas, sprinkle remaining cheese over pasta, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 258
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 45 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 474 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g