This simple dish comes together quickly and, when served right out of the oven, provides a hearty cold-weather meal.
Offer with a tossed green salad or sliced tomatoes, hot crusty Italian bread, and fresh fruit and cheese. Served at room temperature, this dish becomes a suitable spring or fall entrée accompanied by a chilled vegetable soup and a lemon-based pudding for dessert. Best beverages for this would include hot mulled apple cider or a fragrant herbed tea.
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups quartered artichoke hearts
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta
- 1 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat, and add orzo. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms and artichoke hearts for 4 to 5 minutes, and add garlic, cooking 1 minute more. Remove from heat, and place vegetables into baking dish. Stir orzo into mushroom mixture.
- Meanwhile, stir together mozzarella, ricotta, breadcrumbs and parsley. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Spoon cheese mixture over vegetables, smoothing top with back of spoon.
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until cheese melts and top turns golden. Remove from oven, and serve.
- Serving Size: SERVES 4 TO 6
- Calories: 360
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Cholesterol Content: 30 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 760 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g