Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Because wild rice takes twice as long to cook as white rice or bulgur, its easier
to bake this pilaf in the oven.
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft, stirring often. Raise heat to medium, add mushrooms, and cook
7 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown. Stir in garlic and thyme, and cook 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in rice. Add Madeira and soy sauce, and simmer 2 minutes, or until almost all liquid has evaporated. Add broth and 1 cup water, and return to a simmer.
2. Place lid on Dutch oven, and bake 45 minutes. Remove lid, and bake 30 minutes more, or until most of liquid has been absorbed. Remove from oven, cover, and let stand 5 minutes.
3. Fold in peas and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 399
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 426 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g