Almost everyone has a soft spot in his or her heart for french fries. These crispy, oven-baked potatoes will win you over with only 1 teaspoon of oil per serving and added fiber and flavor from the potato skins.
- 6 medium russet potatoes, skin on, scrubbed, trimmed and dried
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line 10- by 14-inch baking sheet with lightly oiled aluminum foil (or simply spray the foil with cooking spray).
- Halve potatoes lengthwise. Cut each half into half, lengthwise. Then cut each fourth of the potato into four equal-width strips. Pat dry. Place in large bowl with oil, pepper and salt. Toss to coat potatoes completely.
- Spread potatoes evenly on baking sheet. Bake until potatoes are golden brown, crisp and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Variations: Add chopped fresh thyme to bowl with potatoes and toss before baking. Sauté one large clove garlic, crushed, in olive oil. Drain oil and reserve for tossing potatoes; discard garlic.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 158
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 183 mg