Chef Sarah Stegner of the Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, offers a seasonal vegetarian menu at all times. This is one of the most popular soups from her fall-winter menu.
- 1 1/2 lbs. salsify, trimmed and peeled
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup soy milk or dairy milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In medium bowl, toss salsify with oil, salt and pepper. Spread onto baking sheet and roast until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Chop roasted salsify into 1-inch pieces. Reserve 1/3 cup for garnish. Put remaining salsify into large pot. Add stock and thyme. Simmer over medium heat until heated through and flavors are blended, about 15 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and purée. Return to pot, add milk if desired and heat through. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with reserved salsify.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 186
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 117 mg