Instead of throwing out the head of cauliflowers, slice straight through the stem to create meaty "steaks" to roast or sear.
- Makes 2 servings.Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut in 1/2-inch-thick slices, leaves reserved
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and red chili flakes; swirl until fragrant. Add the cauliflower steaks in a single layer, making sure they are all touching the pan. Season to taste with salt.
2. Cook the steaks without turning until caramelized, about 8 minutes, then flip and cook until browned and tender, another 8 to 10 minutes. During the last few minutes, add the cauliflower leaves, tomatoes, and capers, and cook until the tomatoes and leaves wilt.
More: Learn about root-to-stalk cooking in Humble Root.