This simple, no-fuss meal calls for fresh egg noodles, which cook up in 3 to 4 minutes. If these are not available, you may use any dried, spaghettilike pasta, but allow for a longer cooking time. Look for the Indian spice garam masala in the spice section of your supermarket.
- 1 lb. fresh Chinese egg noodles or 1/2 lb. dried spaghetti
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 3 6-oz. pkg. soy “chicken” strips
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced, plus 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup water, or more if needed
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced for garnish
- 3 limes, cut into wedges for garnish
- Cayenne pepper for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook noodles until tender. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- Combine garlic, ginger, salt and garam masala in a large bowl. Add “chicken” strips, and coat each piece with mixture.
- Heat oil in a large wok or saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and tomatoes, and cook, stirring and sprinkling with paprika, cayenne and turmeric. Cook until onions soften and mixture thickens, for about 5 minutes, sprinkling with a little water if needed to prevent sticking.
- Add “chicken” and 1 cup water, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 10 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- To serve, arrange a portion of noodles on each plate, and serve “chicken” over noodles. Garnish each serving with cabbage. Pass lime wedges and cayenne.
This is an unusual dish, so try an unusual white. Hedges Columbia Valley Fume Chardonnay has a slightly floral aroma and finish and would go nicely with the spiciness of the curry. The Jefferson Vineyards Viognier from Virginia, a light straw-colored white that’s ever so slightly sweet, is another good choice.
- Serving Size: SERVES 6
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 30 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 590 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g