Use the popular sandwich-sized English muffins as the base for an Italian-inspired topping. Accompany this dish with a vegetarian minestrone soup, and conclude the meal with hot apple pie.
- 4 thin slices eggplant, about 1 1/2 oz. each
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 6 oz. soy “chicken” strips
- 8 Tbs. spaghetti sauce
- 2 extra-large English muffins, split in half
- 2 Tbs. soy margarine
- 3 oz. oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- Seasoning salt to taste
- 4 slices low-fat mozzarella cheese, about 1 1/2 oz. each
- 4 Tbs. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to broil. Line baking sheet with foil, and set aside.
- Arrange eggplant slices on baking sheet, brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil and broil about 7 minutes, turning once, until eggplant is tender and just browned. Remove from oven, and set aside. Reduce heat to 425F.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté garlic and “chicken” strips for 2 to 3 minutes, or until chicken turns golden and is heated through. Stir in 4 tablespoons spaghetti sauce. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Arrange muffin halves on baking sheet. Spread 11/2 teaspoons margarine on each muffin half. Place pieces of sun-dried tomatoes, and spread 1 tablespoon spaghetti sauce on each muffin half. Place eggplant slices on sauce, top with portion of “chicken” strips spread equally among muffins, and sprinkle with seasoning salt. Top each muffin with slice of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange muffins on baking sheet, and place in oven. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until cheese melts and bubbles.
“Chicken” is usually paired with a white wine, but with the combination of tomato sauce, sun-dried tomatoes and Italian cheese, a medium Italian red such as a Tuscan Sangiovesi like Torre Spina or an Ecco Domani would be ideal. And if you just can’t drink red, a Pinot Grigio Luna di Luna or Santa Margherita are both good choices.
- Serving Size: SERVES 4
- Calories: 440
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 760 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g