Beaten eggs and a hot oven are what lift popovers to incredible heights. Serve these as a side dish, or slice open and fill with roasted vegetables or a thick stew for a main dish.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbs. chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk at room temperature
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 Tbs. margarine or butter, melted
1. Place oven rack in next-to-lowest position, and preheat oven to 450°F. Set 12-cup muffin pan on baking sheet and place in oven.
2. Whisk together flour, Parmesan cheese, chives, salt, and pepper in bowl. Whisk together milk, eggs, and margarine in separate bowl. Gradually whisk egg mixture into flour mixture, making sure not to overmix.
3. Divide popover batter among hot muffin cups, filling cups two-thirds full. Return muffin pan on baking sheet to oven, and bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350°F, and bake 20 to 25 minutes more, or until popovers are puffed and well browned. Cool slightly before serving.
- Serving Size: Makes 12 popovers
- Calories: 114
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Cholesterol Content: 56 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 177 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g