Transport this fragrant, filling soup in a thermos or microwave-safe container that you can reheat at work. Bring some to share, or freeze individual portions for future lunches. You can substitute 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil for the rosemary. If the soup is too thick, stir in a little more stock.
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 16-oz. can no-salt plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 16-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup orzo or other small pasta
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat oil over medium heat in large saucepan. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, about 4 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and rosemary, and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add 3 1/2 cups stock and chickpeas, and cook 5 minutes.
- Transfer soup to food processor or blender, and process until coarse, or process in pan with immersion blender. Return soup to pan, and heat over medium heat. Stir in orzo, and cook until orzo is just tender but still firm to bite, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese just before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 300
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 390 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g