Recipe by Chef Alexandra Borgia, Natural Gourmet Institute
- 6 portionsServings
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, small dice (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, small dice (about 1 cup)
- 3 stalks celery, small dice (about 1 cup)
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes (3 cups pureed)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 15-ounce can cannellini beans
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat elbow or ditalini pasta
1. In a two gallon pot, heat the oil over a moderate flame. Add onion, carrots and celery, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 3 more minutes.
2. Add tomato puree, stock and cannellini beans to the pot, and bring up to a simmer.
3. Add bay leaves, thyme, salt and black pepper, stirring to incorporate. Simmer 15 more minutes then add the pasta, stirring frequently so it cooks evenly. Continue to cook for 6 – 8 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Remove bay leaves.
4. Serve with optional grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
See Also: Miso Soup
Photography by Alexandra Shytsman, Natural Gourmet Institute