Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
One large pot of boiling water does all the cooking for this salad. The addition of the vegetables has been timed so that they’re all done at the same time. Using a strainer to remove the vegetables from the water stops the cooking fast and leaves you with a hot, lightly seasoned broth to boil the pasta in.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare large ice water bath. Add carrots to water, and simmer 2 minutes. Add squash, and cook 2 minutes more. Add broccoli and bell pepper, and cook 2 minutes more. Add sugar snap peas, and cook 2 minutes more.
- Scoop vegetables from simmering water with strainer. Transfer to ice water bath. Drain when cool, and pat dry.
- Bring pot of water to a rolling boil. Add pasta, and cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain, and rinse under cold water to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together olive oil and lemon juice in large serving bowl. Stir in shallots and garlic. Add pasta, blanched vegetables, tomatoes, and cheese, and toss to coat with dressing. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 232
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 4 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 242 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g