This may not be an Italian grandmother’s traditional recipe, but the combination of artichokes and black-eyed peas seasoned with caraway seeds and smoked tofu (or smoky cheese) is irresistible.
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, measure out 1/4 cup black-eyed peas and mash with fork in small bowl; set mashed and whole black-eyed peas aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, caraway seeds and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add artichoke hearts and reserved mashed and whole black-eyed peas; stir well. Add broth and salt and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors have blended, about 10 minutes. Stir in parsley, vinegar and pepper.
- Shortly before sauce is ready, add pasta to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well and place in large warm serving bowl. Add artichoke mixture and tofu or cheese if desired and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size 4 to 6 Servings
- Calories 313
- Carbohydrate Content 51 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 299 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g