Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta; stir to prevent sticking. Cook pasta until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 2-quart casserole.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, pepper, thyme, rosemary, paprika and saffron if desired. Cook, stirring often, until onion is tender, 8 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, reserved liquid and tomatoes to onion mixture. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes with spoon. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. If mixture becomes dry, add a little water to keep it moist.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan fitted with steamer basket, bring 2 inches water to a boil over high heat. Add chard, cover and steam until bright green and tender, about 3 minutes. Remove chard and coarsely chop. Transfer to large bowl and stir in 2 teaspoons oil and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in pasta, chickpea mixture and Parmesan.
- Transfer pasta mixture to prepared casserole. Drizzle with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and season with pepper. Cover with foil and bake until hot, about 20 minutes.
- Serving Size 6 Servings
- Calories 349
- Carbohydrate Content 54 g
- Cholesterol Content 6 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 826 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g