To make this ahead, wash and cook the greens a few hours earlier. The cottage cheese mixture will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator.
MEAL PLAN: Serve with store-bought garlic bread.
- 2 lbs. greens, such as Swiss chard, broccoli rabe, beet greens, kale, escarole, dandelion greens, collard greens, alone or in combination
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 Tbs. low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese (1 oz.)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Fill large bowl with cold water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, stem greens and wash thoroughly. When water comes to a boil, add 1 tablespoon salt and greens. Cook until tender, 2 to 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove from water. Transfer to bowl of cold water, then drain. Reserve cooking water for pasta. Gently squeeze most of water out of greens and chop coarsely. Set aside.
- In food processor fitted with steel blade, or in mini-processor, blend cottage cheese until fairly smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl and blend again. Add milk and blend until creamy.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, until garlic begins to color, about 30 seconds. Add greens, stirring 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup cooking liquid reserved from greens. Add salt to taste and remove from heat but keep warm.
- Bring pot of water back to a rolling boil and add pasta. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer pasta to pan with greens. Add cottage cheese mixture and pecorino; toss and serve.
- Serving Size: 4 to 6 Servings
- Calories: 189
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Cholesterol Content: 6 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 453 mg