Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
30 MINUTES OR LESS
A retro salad from the 70s, this recipe is adaptable to whats freshest and most appealing at market; layer to suit your whim. For a vegan version, use soy mayonnaise.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and cook soy bacon, several strips at a time, according to package directions. Drain strips on paper towels. When cool enough to handle, crumble or chop and set aside.
- Place peas in water to cover and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, remove from heat, rinse under cold water, drain and set aside.
- To make dressing, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar or honey, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble salad, layer serving bowl, starting with seeds, then peas, pineapple cubes, tomatoes and crumbled bacon. Dress as needed and toss before serving.
Because the success of this salad depends on what you select at market, a light, dry white wine suits such a composed salad.
- Serving Size SERVES 6
- Calories 540
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 15 mg
- Fat Content 37 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 640 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g