The Pennsylvania Dutch have been cooking peaches and tomatoes together since the 1850s, enjoying the many varieties of available tomatoes, especially the yellow and orange ones. The amount of sugar you use depends on the type and sweetness of the peaches, so you will want to adjust the sugar according to taste. Some cooks put a cinnamon stick in the pie rather than using the ground spice. The cinnamon stick flavors the pie without discoloring the peaches. The Pennsylvania Dutch also make a dumpling-type dough for the top crust, which rises during baking and absorbs some of the juice. But a short pastry crust works well too.
Short Pastry Crust
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsweetened butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¾ cups pastry flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 ½ cups peeled, sliced peaches
- 4 cups tomatoes, seeded and sliced into strips
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup coarsely chopped prunes or dried apricots
- Shredded zest of ½ lemon
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 to 3 ½ Tbs. potato starch or tapioca starch
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon or nutmeg
- 1/8 cup fresh lime juice
- Sugar for garnish
- To make Short Pastry Crust: Combine butter and sugar in mixing bowl, and, using an electric mixer, beat until creamy. Fold in flour, salt, egg and vanilla, and mix well. Wrap in plastic or wax paper, and chill dough for 30 minutes.
- To make Peach-Tomato Filling: Combine peaches, tomatoes, almonds, prunes and lemon zest in mixing bowl. Mix together sugar, potato starch and cinnamon, and stir into fruit mixture. Add lime juice.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray deep 10-inch pie plate or small casserole or baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour mixture into prepared pie plate, and pat down with spatula. Set aside.
- Turn dough out onto work surface sprinkled with flour, and roll out. Carefully place dough over pie filling.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle sugar over top. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8
- Calories: 400
- Carbohydrate Content: 65 g
- Cholesterol Content: 55 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 160 mg
- Sugar Content: 33 g