Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This recipe makes a few chestnuts go a long way. Serve warm with ice cream, or give as holiday gifts.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 18 muffin pan cups with cupcake liners.
To make Crumb Topping:
2. Stir together almonds, sugar, and cinnamon in small bowl; set aside.
To make Cake:
3. Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt in large bowl; set aside. Cream butter, applesauce, and sugars with electric mixer in separate bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Mix in flour mixture alternately with milk. Fold in pears and chestnuts.
4. Divide batter among cupcake liners, and sprinkle with Crumb Topping. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cakes comes out clean. Serve warm or cool.
- Serving Size Makes 18 cupcakes
- Calories 253
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 34 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 183 mg
- Sugar Content 22 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g