Healthful and nourishing, this easy-to-prepare salad may be seasoned with your choice of dressing. Pigeon peas are available dry or canned in most supermarkets and can be found fresh or frozen in Hispanic markets.Add a side of crusty bread and cups of green tea, and conclude the meal with lemon bars or fruit cookies.
- 1 3/4 cups black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups pigeon peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 cups mixed salad greens such as mesclun
- Pat the peas dry with paper towels. Combine the peas in a large serving bowl, and add the avocado, tomatoes and scallions. Season to taste, dress with your favorite dressing and toss.
- To serve, arrange equal portions of greens on individual plates, and spoon equal portions of the pea mixture onto beds of lettuce.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 270
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 360 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g