Tired of tomato sauce with your pasta? This classic Italian recipe is a hearty alternative to spaghetti with marinara. The roasted cauliflower can also be served sans pasta as a delicious holiday side dish.
- 4 Tbs. olive oil, divided, plus more for greasing baking sheet
- 1 small cauliflower (1 lb.), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 Tbs. grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbs. capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb. penne rigate
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Grated vegan Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
- Place oven rack in highest position, and preheat oven to 475˚F. Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Grease baking sheet with olive oil. Toss cauliflower with 2 Tbs. olive oil on prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, and spread in single layer. Roast 18 minutes, or until cauliflower pieces are browned.
- Meanwhile, pulse parsley, lemon zest, and remaining 2 Tbs. oil in food processor until chunky sauce forms. Add capers, and pulse until capers are coarsely chopped.
- Cook penne in boiling water 11 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, and reserve 1/2 cup cooking water. Toss pasta with cauliflower, parsley sauce, and red pepper flakes in large serving bowl, adding reserved cooking water if sauce seems too thick. Sprinkle with vegan Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 447
- Carbohydrate Content: 59 g
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 212 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g