You can add extra salt if you prefer to omit the Parmesan cheese.
- 1 lb. dry penne pasta, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/4 cup olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 4 small zucchini (1 lb.), very thinly sliced
- 8 oz. small pattypan squash, quartered (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup finely shredded fresh basil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup shaved fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 2 minutes. Add zucchini and squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden at edges, about 6 minutes.
- Drain penne, reserving 1 cup cooking water. Stir lemon peel, salt, pepper and reserved cooking water into squash mixture.
- Transfer penne to large serving bowl. Add squash mixture, basil and chives and toss to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 215
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 183 mg