This colorful sauté is so versatile that it works well as a light main course or as a side dish, depending on your menu.And depending on your tolerance for heat, you can fire up this dish with the addition of sliced jalapeño chiles, cherry peppers and Hungarian wax peppersor even a few incendiary habanero chiles. Be sure to vary the color of the sweet peppers, substituting purple or white for one of the other sweet peppers, if you wish. Serve this dish with a tortilla and beer, and end the meal with cut-up fresh fruit.
- 1 1-lb. pkg. baked tofu, preferably Italian-flavored
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, halved and seeded
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, halved and seeded
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, halved and seeded
- 1 orange bell pepper, stemmed, halved and seeded
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Jalapeños, cherry peppers and Hungarian wax peppers, thinly sliced, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 oz. crumbled gorgonzola
- Slice the baked tofu lengthwise into 24 thin strips, and set aside. Slice the peppers lengthwise from stem to rounded end into thin strips about 1/2-inch wide, and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and oregano. Carefully stirring, cook until tofu begins to brown, for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Add about half the peppers to the skillet, and, using tongs to prevent breaking strips, sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the peppers begin to soften and the edges brown slightly. Remove from the skillet.
- Add the remaining oil, and add remaining pepper strips and the hot peppers, if using. Cook for about 5 minutes, remove from the skillet and place on top of the tofu strips. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with gorgonzola and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 410
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 29 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 720 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g