Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Based on the traditional Persian recipe of Khoresht-e-Bademjan, this hearty entrée typically includes lamb or beef cubes, but soy steak strips make a perfect substitute. This makes about 10 cups of stew.
- Slice eggplants in half lengthwise, then into quarters. Cut each piece in half, and set aside.
- Heat 3 Tbs. oil over medium heat for 1 minute in large electric or nonstick skillet or Dutch oven. Sauté eggplant 7 to 10 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Remove eggplant from pan, and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to skillet, and heat over medium-high heat 30 seconds. Add “steak” strips, potatoes and onions, and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until potatoes start turning golden.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, turmeric, cilantro and parsley. Stir well. Add stock. Reduce heat to low, arrange eggplants over potato mixture, cover and cook for about 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Uncover, cook 5 minutes more and serve hot.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 270
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 460 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g