To make persimmon puree, slice the persimmon in half and scrape the pulp from the peel. Press the pulp through a strainer or blend in a food processor.
- 3 cups oat bran
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbs. persimmon puree
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbs. nonfat milk
- 2 egg whites (from 2 large eggs)
- 1 cup grated McIntosh apple
- 1⁄4 cup dried currants
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line 16 standard muffin pan cups with paper liners.
- In medium bowl, mix oat bran, baking powder, spices and salt.
- In separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Add to oat bran mixture and stir just until blended.
- Spoon mixture into muffin pans, filling to top. Smooth with back of spoon. Bake 30 minutes or until tops are browned. Set pan on wire rack and let cool 10 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and let cool thoroughly.
- Serving Size: Makes 16
- Calories: 95
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 147 mg