These delicious stuffed mushrooms make a fabulous entrée. The hazelnuts are optional but add a nice crunch. To serve as an appetizer, cut each mushroom into 4 pie-shaped pieces.
- 8 large portobello caps, about 6 inches round
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 2/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup prepared basil pesto
- 1 Tbs. grated lemon zest from 2 large lemons
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, optional
- 1/3 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Chopped parsley or mint for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line two shallow roasting pans or baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Gently wipe mushroom caps with damp towel. Use paring knife to pry out any bits of stems; chop stems finely.
- Lightly brush tops of caps with oil. Set caps, gill sides up, in prepared pans. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Combine chopped stems, breadcrumbs, pesto, lemon zest, vinegar and hazelnuts, if using. Spoon about 2 rounded tablespoons of topping into each mushroom.
- Roast mushrooms on top rack 5 minutes. Switch to bottom rack. Continue roasting until tender, 10 to 15 minutes total. Sprinkle grated cheese liberally on each mushroom, and garnish with parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: Makes 8 dinner servings, 32 appetizers
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 500 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g