These delicious stuffed mushrooms make a fabulous entrée. The hazelnuts are optional but add a nice crunch. To serve as an appetizer, cut each mushroom into 4 pie-shaped pieces.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line two shallow roasting pans or baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Gently wipe mushroom caps with damp towel. Use paring knife to pry out any bits of stems; chop stems finely.
- Lightly brush tops of caps with oil. Set caps, gill sides up, in prepared pans. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Combine chopped stems, breadcrumbs, pesto, lemon zest, vinegar and hazelnuts, if using. Spoon about 2 rounded tablespoons of topping into each mushroom.
- Roast mushrooms on top rack 5 minutes. Switch to bottom rack. Continue roasting until tender, 10 to 15 minutes total. Sprinkle grated cheese liberally on each mushroom, and garnish with parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size Makes 8 dinner servings, 32 appetizers
- Calories 230
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 500 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g