Inspired by the popular casual dish pigs in blanketsfrankfurters wrapped in biscuit dough and then bakedthis vegetarian version provides a snappy celebration of childhood with an Asian twist. Serve with potato salad or coleslaw, and potato or corn chips. Iced tea or tart lemonade makes the perfect beverage. For dessert? Ice cream pops.
- 4 soy “frankfurters”
- 8 egg roll wrappers (6 inches square)
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 4 Tbs. relish
- American-style mustard to taste
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- Cook soy “frankfurters,” or “franks,” according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, separate 2 egg roll wrappers from package, and place flat on work surface. Arrange 1/8 cup sauerkraut and 1 tablespoon relish on upper one-third of wrapper. Using tongs, remove one “frank” from saucepan, and place on wrapper below sauerkraut. Place mustard on “frank,” spread 1 tablespoon relish on other side, sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on “frank” and wrap, rolling toward you, until filling is covered. Moisten long edge with water to seal. Repeat until used up.
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat. Pan-fry “frank” packets until puffy and golden on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Using tongs, remove from heat, and place on several layers of paper towels to blot excess oil. Serve with mustard in zig-zag line down center of egg roll wrapper.
- Serving Size: Serves 2 to 4
- Calories: 410
- Carbohydrate Content: 72 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 970 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g