This moist spice cake is a great alternative to the butter-laden upside-down cakes of yesteryear.
- 2 Tbs. butter
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 20-oz. can juice-packed sliced pineapple rings, drained, ¼ cup juice reserved
- ¾ cup dried cranberries, divided
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened apple butter
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 12-inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray.
2. To make Topping: Melt butter in skillet, add sugar, and cook 2 minutes, or until sugar is bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in reserved pineapple juice.
3. Arrange pineapple rings on bottom of skillet, and place 2 dried cranberries in center of each ring.
4. To make Batter: Whisk together eggs, brown sugar, apple butter, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla in bowl. Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves, and allspice in separate bowl. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and stir in remaining dried cranberries.
5. Spread Batter in skillet, and bake 30 minutes, or until top is set and brown. Cool 10 minutes. Place large plate over skillet, and invert cake onto plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 441
- Carbohydrate Content: 85 g
- Cholesterol Content: 61 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 595 mg
- Sugar Content: 56 g